The sculpture known as the Meeting of the Waters is really 19 sculptures representing the meeting of the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers just outside St. Louis. It is 200 ft long and was initially named “The Wedding of the Rivers”.
It was commissioned from renowned Swedish sculptor Carl Milles by the city of St. Louis. Lighting and landscaping were added in 1954. It contains a number of mermaids, nymphs and other water creatures.
More photos and history on the page dedicated to this art work.