The sculpture known as the Meeting of the Waters was completed in 1939 and unveiled in 1940. The fountain is 200 ft long and was initially named “The Wedding of the Rivers”. map
It was commissioned from renowned Swedish sculptor Carl Milles by the city of St. Louis. Lighting and landscaping were added in 1954.
The fountain represents the meeting of the Mississippi and Missouri rivers, which join just outside St. Louis. It is located next to the fabulous St. Louis Union Station building.
A nude male figure represents the Mississippi River, and a nude female figure represents the Missouri River.
They are accompanied by a wedding procession of 17 water spirits, most of them twin-tailed mermaids and tritons, who represent the many smaller streams and tributaries that flow into these two major rivers.
Initially controversial because of the nudity, the name of the fountain was later changed to “The Meeting of the Rivers”.
The fountain has since gained wide acclaim and became a City Landmark in 1971.
● The Mermaids of Earth coffee-table book: See page 130 in the book about this sculpture.