The historic Italian Rainey Gate Fountain at the Bronx Zoo was fully restored in 2008. Also known as the Italian Fountain and the Rockefeller Fountain, the fountain was carved from limestone and granite by sculptor Biagio Catella in Como, Italy, in 1872, and was initially installed in Piazza Cavour in Como. William Rockefeller bought the fountain in 1902, brought it to New York, and donated it to the Bronx Zoo, where it was installed in 1910. map
The fountain includes sea horses, dolphins, a swan, mermaids and mermen. It was declared a New York City landmark in 1968.
● The Mermaids of Earth coffee-table book: See page 140 in the book about this sculpture.