A replica of Denmark’s The Little Mermaid statue was installed by Earl and Dolores Peterson in 1976, in Denmarket Square, Solvang, California. It is a bronze sculpture and is half the size of the original in Copenhagen. (Map)
It sits on a large stone structure, with a reflecting pool.
The city of Solvang is the largest danish settlement in America, and has a substantial tourist industry based on its danish heritage. It was founded in 1911 and has over 150 art galleries, restaurants, souvenir shops and other attractions, including a Danish windmill, a Hans Christian Andersen Museum, and many buildings built in old Danish architectural styles.
This is one of the many copies of Edvard Eriksen’s original mermaid statue placed in Copenhagen harbor in 1913.
These are the copies of this statue that I am aware of:
- Brazil, Brasilia
- China, Senzhen, Window of the World
- Denmark, Copenhagen, Carlsberg Breweries
- Denmark, Copenhagen, Tivoli Gardens
- Japan, Yokohama
- Romania, Pietra Neamt
- Spain, Madrid, Parque Europa
- Virgin Islands, St. Thomas, Charlotte Amalie
- USA, California, Glendale
- USA, California, Solvang
- USA, Connecticut, Greenwich
- USA, Iowa, Kimballton
- USA, Michigan, Greenville
- USA, Utah, Salt Lake City, International Peace Gardens